Friday, March 30

Heart to Heart

As I type this update from last week's post, I'm sitting in one of the world's most uncomfortable beds... the labor and delivery bed. Great for giving birth I'm sure, but terrible for trying to relax and get comfy in. It's rock solid mattress (or lack there of), limited adjustability, and short length for this nearly 6 foot mama makes for one long night and day thus far.


Matt and I went to our appointment on Thursday for a recheck of baby boy's heart rhythm. On this visit not only was his heart rhythm still all over the place, he's started a new one too. This new one is called supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), a sustained heart rate greater than 220 that results in poor cardiac output and therefore decreased circulatory performance. The ultrasound tech immediately retrieved our doctor who said it was a cause for concern and that we should see a perinatologist that day. We were sent over to Shawnee Mission Medical Center to have a level II ultrasound, to meet the perinatologist (Dr. Wickstrum), and for observation. Baby boy was still having heart trouble during this exam as well. Dr. Wickstrum and the tech took a very close look at his heart. His heart appears to be formed completely normal, thank goodness. So we're not real sure what is causing the SVT, just that it's happening frequently.

Because of that, there's concern for some other complications that could arise with baby boy that could be potentially serious, namely hydrops fetalis (a serious condition related to heart failure in babies in utero). Since baby boy was having SVT frequently, we were then sent to Labor and Delivery for further treatment at St. Luke's on the Plaza. Here they can treat me and baby both (only 1 of 3 hospitals in the KC area capable of our needed treatment). We were admitted on late Thursday afternoon, talked to serveral specialists, had some blood work done, and another bedside ultrasound. The percentage of time that baby boy spends in SVT versus a semi-norm rhythm was too high to continue monitoring, so we started treatment last night.

The first treatment we're trying is a medication called Digoxin. I take the medication and it treats baby boy when it crosses the placenta. It's a pretty basic medication with few side effects (nausea, vomiting, and headaches, none of which I've experienced thus far). While they "load" me with the medication to get it to a therapeutic level, baby boy is still hanging out in SVT. Once they get me to a therapeutic level (checked by blood sample), we'll continue to watch baby boy and see if he reacts positively to it. The success rate is about 50%. If this doesn't work then we'll try another med or two (flecainide [92% sucess rate] or sotalol). Last resort would be direct fetal administration of amniodarone. Since baby boy converts back and forth on his own currently, it seems like oral medications should work. I'm getting EKGs every 24 hours along with daily ultrasounds to check for signs of fetal heart failure.

In spite of all this, we seem to have caught it early enough that baby's heart is tolerating the unstable rhythms well. He still moves frequently, and has good heart rate variability when not in SVT. On my side of things, my Braxton-Hicks contractions have increased in frequency and strength today. So I've been ordered to drink, drink, drink (or have IV fluids restarted). So I've continued drinking water like a fish, as always. I've taken one dose of Vistaril to help with the uterine irritability. I don't think it helps to lay in bed all day hooked up to monitors, focusing on baby's heart rate and my Braxton-Hicks. I think I just might go crazy laying here watching TV and thinking of my back hurting for the next few days. Matt's being such a trooper running all over town for everything, from supplies from home to a chocolate malt from Culver's. (Turns out sugar isn't causing this at all! Yay for me!) He even mowed the yard today on his BIRTHDAY!!

What a stinky way to spend your birthday for sure, but it's definitely a testament to the type of man I married. Someone who puts others before himself, does it without thinking, and doesn't complain while doing it. He's packing for me, feeding Bailey-cat, mowing and watering the yard, doing all his work from the hospital, getting me an occasional meal from someplace other than the cafeteria, and being so supportive and caring. I love you babe. Thank you for all the hard work you do for us.

And a note to our lil' man:

Baby boy stay in your cozy little home and be tough. We're doing our best to help you out, so hang in there. We love you so much!                                           -Love, Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment