So last week I was finally allowed to return to my regular OB, Dr. Piquard. So glad to be back in her office with all the other normal, no problem, pregnant ladies. It was good to catch up and see her and her nurse, Alicia. Everything is back on track and looking good. I still will be following with our perinatologists every 3 weeks for ultrasounds, but I'm back in Dr. P's hands. At my last perinatologist visit I talked with one of the neonatologists (specialty doctor that takes care of neonates) who discussed with me what to expect for little man once he arrives. The verdict... not a whole lot :) Unless something changes with his heart, he'll be treated as a regular newborn with the exception that he will probably need an EKG at some point before he comes home, which can even be done in our room with us there. Once we're home, we'll probably have more frequent pediatrician visits too. But other than that, everything should be pretty uneventful. I can stop taking Digoxin once he's delivered, and we'll just wait and see what his heart does. Like I've said before, the perinatologists think it happened for no good reason, Digoxin stopped it, and being delivered will probably keep it from happening again.
Speaking of pediatrician, I was also asked at this visit who our pediatrician was, to which I replied "I'll try to let you know by my next visit" but my thought was 'How in the world do I pick a pediatrician???' The perinatologists would like to start faxing over information on little man to prepare his doctor and get them up to speed. Matt and I had briefly talked about finding a pediatrician, but nothing serious. How do you even interview someone for that? "Hey, I know you went through medical school, residency, and probably an internship, but do you really know what you're doing?" One of the zillion things I'd like to do this week is pick out a pediatrician, visit their office, and get some basic paperwork filled out. Until today, I wasn't even sure who was going to be seeing little man in the hospital (perinatologist, neonatologist, pediatrician, hospitalist, etc...) Turns out, it's his yet-to-be-determined pediatrician.
On a random note, I've finally started getting questions from complete strangers about when I'm due, what I'm having, and what's his name. The first question, "So, when are you due?" "July 24th" "No way! You're not THAT big! You're barely showing." So apparently this total stranger thinks that I normally look this way?? Inside secret, I'm currently carrying like a 19lb watermelon inside my belly (ok, so yeah, I know that's not all baby, but for arguments sake...). "What are you having?" "A boy" "(fill in normal response here)". Third question, "Do you have a name?" "Not at all" "Do you have any favorites?" "Nope" "Well, what names have you talked about?" "About every name I can think of between A and Z." Matt and I were originally thinking we'd come up with a name and keep it to ourselves, and introduce little man by his proper name when he arrived. A surprise of sorts. However, we can't come up with a name at all! Not that we don't agree, we just can't think of one we really love. Thankfully, I have had several people who have told me similar stories, so now I don't feel so bad for not having a name for him yet. We'll get there. Even if it's a day or two after he's arrived.
Other random thoughts/facts/happenings...
Speaking of pediatrician, I was also asked at this visit who our pediatrician was, to which I replied "I'll try to let you know by my next visit" but my thought was 'How in the world do I pick a pediatrician???' The perinatologists would like to start faxing over information on little man to prepare his doctor and get them up to speed. Matt and I had briefly talked about finding a pediatrician, but nothing serious. How do you even interview someone for that? "Hey, I know you went through medical school, residency, and probably an internship, but do you really know what you're doing?" One of the zillion things I'd like to do this week is pick out a pediatrician, visit their office, and get some basic paperwork filled out. Until today, I wasn't even sure who was going to be seeing little man in the hospital (perinatologist, neonatologist, pediatrician, hospitalist, etc...) Turns out, it's his yet-to-be-determined pediatrician.
On a random note, I've finally started getting questions from complete strangers about when I'm due, what I'm having, and what's his name. The first question, "So, when are you due?" "July 24th" "No way! You're not THAT big! You're barely showing." So apparently this total stranger thinks that I normally look this way?? Inside secret, I'm currently carrying like a 19lb watermelon inside my belly (ok, so yeah, I know that's not all baby, but for arguments sake...). "What are you having?" "A boy" "(fill in normal response here)". Third question, "Do you have a name?" "Not at all" "Do you have any favorites?" "Nope" "Well, what names have you talked about?" "About every name I can think of between A and Z." Matt and I were originally thinking we'd come up with a name and keep it to ourselves, and introduce little man by his proper name when he arrived. A surprise of sorts. However, we can't come up with a name at all! Not that we don't agree, we just can't think of one we really love. Thankfully, I have had several people who have told me similar stories, so now I don't feel so bad for not having a name for him yet. We'll get there. Even if it's a day or two after he's arrived.
Other random thoughts/facts/happenings...
- Little man started hiccuping about a week ago
- The physical side of being pregnant sucks.... anyone that says " I just LOVE being pregnant. It's the best thing ever!" is either A) lying B) mentally confused or C) a masochist. Tired, sore, achy, swollen. Giant, non-moveable, non-compressible abdominal mass preventing all normal movement. HOT. HOT. HOT. (yes, I'm aware it's only May) Never sleeping through the night. Kidney stones (I feel like this one alone justifies my point.) I could go on and on.
- Related to above- my abdominal muscles have officially split straight down the middle. My belly has been a source of superb discomfort this past week. It gets worse as the day goes on, and by the evening I'm totally ready to be done with being pregnant. I'd rather take a 31 week preemie instead (obviously, not for reals people). I feel like my muscles are being pulled so tight that my ribs are be slowly removed from my ribcage, which makes breathing effectively a painful task. I think this happening has made me significantly more "pregnant looking" hence the comments from strangers now.
- When Matt's home we take turns reading him bedtime stories from his little library collection. He seems to enjoy it :)
![]() |
| Missed our 29 week picture because I was working, so here is 30 weeks 5 days. |

No comments:
Post a Comment