I'm now 32 weeks, and baby and I are both growing. Our nurse at Dr. P's office said "Wow! Good. You're making progress. 6 pounds!" I'm thinking, excuse me?? Six pounds in two weeks?!?! What is that about?? This certainly can't keep up for another 8 weeks; that'd be 24 more pounds!! More than I've gained this entire pregnancy. Let's hope things slow back down. All is still good with baby's heart too. We talked a little about labor and delivery at this visit as well. We're planning on doing all this as intervention-free as possible, and wanted to gauge her reaction/attitude to that.
It seems like some things we won't be able to compromise on, like no eating and drinking during labor. She said it is anesthesiology's policy in case there's an emergency and general anesthesia is used (rather than an epidural for a c-section). She also feels very strongly about having an IV for emergency access as well, although I don't have to have fluids running. It can just be heplocked. And lastly, she wants continuous fetal monitoring "once I'm in the throes of labor, about 5 or 6 centimeters". Uhhh, it seems to me that that's only 1/2 way?? I was thinking continuous monitoring, like never. More like intermittent for 5 minutes during each hour for the whole process, even during pushing. We'll think more about that one, and probably politely decline (over and over and over and over again). We both agreed however, that if intervention-free is our goal (secondary to SAFE of course), that staying home and long as possible would be a good option. So that's what we're planning on.
It seems like some things we won't be able to compromise on, like no eating and drinking during labor. She said it is anesthesiology's policy in case there's an emergency and general anesthesia is used (rather than an epidural for a c-section). She also feels very strongly about having an IV for emergency access as well, although I don't have to have fluids running. It can just be heplocked. And lastly, she wants continuous fetal monitoring "once I'm in the throes of labor, about 5 or 6 centimeters". Uhhh, it seems to me that that's only 1/2 way?? I was thinking continuous monitoring, like never. More like intermittent for 5 minutes during each hour for the whole process, even during pushing. We'll think more about that one, and probably politely decline (over and over and over and over again). We both agreed however, that if intervention-free is our goal (secondary to SAFE of course), that staying home and long as possible would be a good option. So that's what we're planning on.
On to more fun things, I had a great shower last weekend that my friends Courtney and Katie threw for me. Unfortunately, we all got so caught up in the shower that nobody took pictures! The shower kinda reflected baby's nursery style. Eclectic, bright, and fun. Katie handmade several items for the shower including the tablecloth and table runner, paper owls, and party favors. Courtney made all our yummy food. The punch even looked like a blue bubble bath, floating rubber duckies included! We ate some good food, played a few little games (none of which I won), and then opened gifts. Baby got some pretty sweet stuff from the girls! Two favorites: a book called Boss Baby and a Sporting KC onesie! Baby is already a fan; he's been to several games this season :)
| Katie's cute owl family! |
| Wonderful homemade hand scrub (shower party favor) |
| Invitation for the shower along with the duckies who floated in the bubble bath punch :) |
![]() |
| Being gutsy here! We've spent a few hours by the pool since it opened Memorial Day weekend. Good times:) 31w5d |

No comments:
Post a Comment