Well, I've celebrated my first official Mother's Day. Last year I was pregnant, so we celebrated it then too. But this year felt different. More legitimate. I never really understood mother's day/father's day/grandparent's day. But man oh man, do I get it now. Turns out that being a parent is HARD work. I only have one very small and very sweet baby to care for, and this stuff is difficult sometimes. So yeah, a day to celebrate parents of any kind... ABSOLUTELY!
Don't get me wrong, being a parent also has it's incredibly high points and wonderful moments too. Watching Declan grow into this bright little person who reaches up to me to be held, discovers new talents each day, and giggles and grins at me just because I'm me is pretty fulfilling.
So to celebrate the day, Matt let me take the day off. I slept in, had breakfast ready for me when I came downstairs (orange danish rolls! yum!), and after church I took the opportunity to catch up on some projects around the house (and of course some chillin' out too). I was supposed to have time to go get a pedicure as well, but we decided to save that for another day. I had so many projects I wanted to work on, I felt rushed on the whole pedicure thing which was not the goal.
Being at home and not being the primary caregiver for the day was pretty fabulous. No coaxing healthy foods into D during mealtimes, no changing diapers, and no putting down for naps or bedtime. I was just around to play and have fun when it suited me! Pretty good gig for the day :) Also, I wasn't responsible for cleaning or cooking either! Awesome.
In addition to all this, I got a bouquet of flowers, a card with D's handprint in it, and a pair of sparklers for my ears (hello diamond earrings!). Looking forward to celebrating Father's Day with Matt in June :)
And my final paragraph... a heart felt thank you to my momma. She raised my sister and I mostly on her own. She's my #1 fan, biggest cheerleader, close friend, and of course strong-to-the-core mom. She's taught me the meaning of kindness and generosity which I hope to display in the quiet way she does. Mom, thank you for all you've done and continue to do. You always said "You'll understand someday when you have have kids!". And sure enough I do. You were right :)
Don't get me wrong, being a parent also has it's incredibly high points and wonderful moments too. Watching Declan grow into this bright little person who reaches up to me to be held, discovers new talents each day, and giggles and grins at me just because I'm me is pretty fulfilling.
So to celebrate the day, Matt let me take the day off. I slept in, had breakfast ready for me when I came downstairs (orange danish rolls! yum!), and after church I took the opportunity to catch up on some projects around the house (and of course some chillin' out too). I was supposed to have time to go get a pedicure as well, but we decided to save that for another day. I had so many projects I wanted to work on, I felt rushed on the whole pedicure thing which was not the goal.
Being at home and not being the primary caregiver for the day was pretty fabulous. No coaxing healthy foods into D during mealtimes, no changing diapers, and no putting down for naps or bedtime. I was just around to play and have fun when it suited me! Pretty good gig for the day :) Also, I wasn't responsible for cleaning or cooking either! Awesome.
In addition to all this, I got a bouquet of flowers, a card with D's handprint in it, and a pair of sparklers for my ears (hello diamond earrings!). Looking forward to celebrating Father's Day with Matt in June :)
| Me and my lil' buddy! |
| D's signature... ADORABLE! |
| Thanks Declan! (Matt told me D got them for me) |
And my final paragraph... a heart felt thank you to my momma. She raised my sister and I mostly on her own. She's my #1 fan, biggest cheerleader, close friend, and of course strong-to-the-core mom. She's taught me the meaning of kindness and generosity which I hope to display in the quiet way she does. Mom, thank you for all you've done and continue to do. You always said "You'll understand someday when you have have kids!". And sure enough I do. You were right :)
No comments:
Post a Comment